The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum is an anti-aging eye serum by the skincare brand The Ordinary. This serum aims to target multiple signs of aging around the delicate eye area including fine lines, wrinkles, dark circles, puffiness, and under-eye bags.
With a combination of six different peptides along with caffeine and antioxidant ingredients, this serum claims to visibly improve the appearance of aging eyes. But does it really live up to the claims?
Here is an in-depth review of The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum including its pros and cons.
What is The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum?
The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum is a lightweight and fast-absorbing anti-aging eye serum. It is formulated to target multiple concerns around the eye contour area including:
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Crow’s feet
- Dark circles
- Under eye bags/puffiness
- Dryness and loss of firmness
This serum by The Ordinary contains a combination of four peptides along with caffeine and antioxidant ingredients like epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG) from green tea. It is specifically designed to reduce the appearance of the signs of aging around the eyes in 8 weeks when used twice a day.
According to the brand, the multi-peptide complex in this formula mimics the natural peptides found in youthful skin to renew and rejuvenate the eye area. The added caffeine helps to reduce puffiness and dark circles.
The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum Key Ingredients
Some of the hero ingredients in The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum are:
- Niacinamide: A versatile ingredient that brightens skin tone, reduces wrinkles, balances oil production, strengthens the skin barrier, and treats acne.
- Glycerin: A common humectant that helps skin retain moisture and maintain healthy barrier function.
- Caffeine: An antioxidant that constricts blood vessels, potentially improving dark circles and puffiness.
- Acetyl Glucosamine: An amino sugar with multi-targeted benefits including reducing wrinkles, improving hydration, and fading hyperpigmentation.
- Palmitoyl Tripeptide-38: Also called Matrixyl synthe’6, this peptide minimizes the look of wrinkles and crow’s feet.
- Acetyl Tetrapeptide-5: Also known as Eyeseryl, this peptide improves the appearance of under-eye bags and puffiness.
- Myristoyl Nonapeptide-3: This new peptide claims to deliver retinol-like effects without irritation and redness.
- Dipeptide Diaminobutyroyl Benzylamide Diacetate: Better known as Syn-Ake, this peptide targets wrinkles like Botox by inhibiting facial muscle contractions.
- Epigallocatechin Gallatyl Glucoside: Provides antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits by combining green tea EGCG and glucose.
- Gallyl Glucoside: An antioxidant that soothes and protects skin.
- Fraxinus Excelsior Bark Extract: Works with niacinamide and silanetriol to reduce under eye bags and puffiness.
- Arginine: An amino acid and natural moisturizing factor that boosts skin hydration and wound healing.
- Hydroxymethoxyphenyl Decanone: Mimics grains of paradise to potentially increase hyaluronic acid and provide antioxidant effects.
- Propyl Gallate: An antioxidant preservative.
Pros and Cons of The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum
- Lightweight, fast-absorbing water-based formula
- Fragrance-free and suitable for sensitive skin
- 6 different peptides target multiple signs of aging
- Affordable price point of $25
- Can be used alongside other serums/treatments
- The Ordinary skincare brand has a big cult following
- May cause mild irritation or redness in some
- Needs to be applied twice daily for the best results
- Takes over a month of consistent use to see noticeable effects
- Not suitable for very dry skin types
- Some customers don’t see dramatic anti-aging results
Side Effects and Risks
When used as directed, The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum is generally well-tolerated. However, a few things to note:
- May cause irritation – Peptides can be irritating for some skin types, especially when applied near the delicate eye area. Discontinue use if it causes significant redness or itching.
- Not for severely dry skin – The lightweight formula may not provide enough hydration for very dry skin types. Opt for a richer eye cream if your under eyes are severely dry.
- Avoid getting in the eyes – Take care not to get this serum in the eyes as it can cause irritation. Rinse with water if it gets in the eyes.
- Start slowly – Apply just 2-3 times a week initially to test skin tolerance before increasing frequency.
- Photosensitivity – This serum contains antioxidants that may make skin more prone to sunburn. Wear sunscreen after applying.
As with any skincare product, there is always a slight risk of experiencing an allergic reaction. Do a patch test first. Overall, it has a low-risk profile when used correctly as per the instructions.
The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum Customer Reviews
Customer reviews provide valuable insight into the effectiveness of a product. While individual experiences can vary, many users of The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum report positive results. Common praises include visible reductions in puffiness, brighter skin, and smoother texture.
The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum customer reviews on the official site show 4.1/5 stars out of over 758 reviews at the time of writing, while on Ultra, it is 4.2/5 out of 751 reviews.
However, it’s essential to remember that skincare is highly personalized, and what works wonders for one person may not yield the same results for another. Always consult with a dermatologist or skincare professional for tailored recommendations.
Overall, around 85% of reviews are positive saying it made a visible improvement in their eye area skin quality when used consistently for over 4-6 weeks. However, it did not work for some customers who saw no real difference.
How to Use The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum
Use The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum twice daily for best results – in the morning and evening after cleansing and toning. Follow these application tips:
- Start with a clean, dry face. Avoid applying after using other water-based serums.
- Use your ring finger to gently dot the serum around the entire eye contour including on top of eyelids.
- Gently pat in using light tapping motions until fully absorbed. Do not aggressively rub the delicate eye area.
- Apply moisturizer or eye cream after the serum. The Ordinary Natural Moisturizing Factors + HA is a nice pairing.
- Use a pea-sized amount or less to avoid irritation. A little goes a long way.
- Allow the product to fully absorb before applying makeup.
- For optimal results, apply SPF in the mornings after this serum.
- Limit usage to twice daily at most. Overuse can increase irritation.
Be patient – it can take up to 6-8 weeks for The Ordinary eye serum to reveal visible anti-aging benefits. Consistency is key.
The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum vs. Competitors
Here is how The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum stacks up against some competitor anti-aging eye serums and creams:
|The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum
|6 peptides, caffeine, antioxidant
|$25 for 0.5oz
|Fine lines, puffiness, dark circles
|Olay Eyes Ultimate Eye Cream
|Niacinamide, vitamins, aminopeptides
|$29.99 for 0.4oz
|ROC Multi Correxion Eye Cream
|Hexinol, argireline, antioxidants
|$22.49 for 0.5oz
|Light, silky cream
|Crow’s feet, puffiness, dark circles
|Dermalogica Biolumin-C Eye Serum
|Vitamin C, caffeine, peptides
|$74 for 0.5oz
|Shiseido Benefiance WrinkleResist24 Eye Cream
|Mukurossi extract, chlorella extract
|$60 for 0.5oz
|Anti-aging eye cream
|Fine lines, wrinkles, dryness
Is The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum Worth It?
At just under $25 for 15ml, The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum is a very affordable anti-aging option compared to eye creams that can run up to $100.
The blend of four peptides and antioxidants provides visible improvement in fine lines, wrinkles, brightness, and texture when applied diligently. It absorbs quickly and layers well under makeup.
However, it may not be moisturizing enough for very dry under the eyes. The formula is also not natural.
For an affordable serum that targets aging concerns around the delicate eye area, The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum is worth trying. However, your mileage may vary depending on your specific eye area needs and skin type. Be patient and use it consistently for 6-8 weeks to see the best results.
How to Get The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum
You can easily purchase The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum online as well as in-store:
- The Ordinary website – Available for $25 at TheOrdinary.com. They offer free shipping on orders over $25.
- Sephora – Sold online and in Sephora stores for $25. Can purchase during sales and with discounts.
- Ulta – Find it online and in-store for $25 at Ulta.com or your local Ulta.
- Cult Beauty – Ships internationally for approx £20 from CultBeauty.com. Free shipping over £40.
Be sure to purchase The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum only from authorized retailers to ensure the product is genuine. Beware of knock-offs from unreliable sellers. The best price is direct from Deciem.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for The Ordinary eye serum to work?
It can take 4-6 weeks of consistent twice-daily use to see visible results in wrinkles, dark circles, etc. Be diligent and patient.
Can I use The Ordinary eye serum with retinol?
Yes, but use them at alternate times of the day. The peptides may increase retinol absorption which could irritate.
Does The Ordinary eye serum replace eye cream?
Not necessarily. You can layer an eye cream over the serum if your under eyes need extra moisturization.
Does The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum expire?
It has a shelf life of 12 months. Toss if it smells off, or changes color or texture.
Is The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum non-comedogenic?
Yes, it is formulated to not clog pores or cause acne breakouts.
- The Ordinary Multi-Peptide Eye Serum aims to target multiple signs of aging around the delicate eye area
- It contains a blend of six peptides along with caffeine and antioxidant ingredients
- Apply twice daily by gently tapping around the entire eye contour for visible anti-aging benefits
- This affordable serum smoothes fine lines, reduces puffiness, and brightens the eye area with consistent use
- Use for at least one month to see noticeable improvements in crows feet, wrinkles, dark circles, etc
- Goes well under makeup and moisturizer without feeling greasy
- Overall, a solid affordable anti-aging eye serum for most skin types when used properly